Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Kenzer & Company, Keeping Gaming Fun

For years now I've enjoyed the offerings of David S. Kenzer, Jolly Blackburn, Steve Johansson, and company. Not only do they provide one of the best gaming magazines ever, they do it with all the love for the hobby one could ever possibly have.

Knights of the Dinner Table is a publication worth subscribing to if you enjoy gaming at all. The laughs provided in the comics are gut-busting, the content of the game related articles is rich with helpful information, and the staff behind it makes sure to provide as much fun per issue as possible. I actively seek for the newest issue any time I'm in a game or hobby store. It's what gets me through the year when my own table is in a slump.

Among the games they publish Hackmaster is the most noteworthy. Now in the Basic incarnation, this game continues to build upon the original role playing game penned by Gygax and Arneson. It differs in many ways, yet stays classically flavored. Anyone looking to try out a new role playing system should absolutely give this one a read. I'd also recommend Tech Support especially if you're into an easy card game to share with your friends. I had the pleasure of play testing this item at the KenzerCo. booth at Gen Con Indy 2005, where I was fortunate to meet Jolly Blackburn, the creative mind behind the Knights Comic, and have him sign issue #100.

I can't express how much entertainment this company has given me over the years. They're magazine lifts my spirits when life has beaten them down, and they're games remind me that the heart of the hobby is the pursuit of having fun!

Make mine KenzerCo!

No comments:

Post a Comment